"While thought exists, words are alive and literature becomes an escape, not from, but into living." - Cyril Connolly
My name is Kimberly Bassler and I love words. That's why I'm an English major here at Virginia Tech. Tech is the third college I've attended and English is the second major I've declared, but I finally feel as though I've found my home. As a child, reading was my first love. Writing quickly became my second. Though I searched for a more "practical" major at first, in returning to my roots I've realized no education compares to one so rich in critical reading, thinking, and analysis. I believe my solid education as an English major will greatly benefit me as I work toward my ultimate goal: a degree in law.
hope this ePortfolio will help you to understand where I have been,
where I aspire to be, and how I hope to get there. In addition, the
portfolio will provide you with samples of my work as well as evidence
of my growth as both a critical reader and writer. At the top of this
page you will find links to:
• Digital Narrative - a brief video focused on how my favorite hobby has benefited me
• Academic Achievement - a selection of works demonstrating my fulfillment of the English major learning outcomes, along with reflections on each piece
• Showcase on Growth - a summary of the process I went through while revising a literary analysis, along with links to an annotated draft and the final piece
• Engagement - a description of my experience as a teaching assistant and a reflection on the opportunity
• Direction - an explanation of why I have selected the Literature, Language, and Culture pre-law option within my English major and why I plan to attend law school after I graduate
• Synthesis - an analysis of the way my undergraduate career has shaped me
If you would like to view my resume, please click here.